Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Vunow Blog First Post

I bought a Vunow by Verismo Networks about a month ago and have found that it is difficult to find information on what can and can't be done with it, so I figured I would start a blog to explain the things I have learned through trial and error. Hopefully I will also be able to attract some other users of the product to share some of their experiences with that rest of us as well. With the digital transition just around the corner a month ago (it has been moved back now) I wanted to find a source of video for the TV I have in the bedroom. I live in a condo and have for the last five years lived with only over the air television. Around five years ago I bought a digital video recorder with an internal hard drive and a TV guide interface from Best buy. I learned that if I recorded what I wanted over the air that there was enough free content to keep me content. My problem in this condo is that there is only one antenna outlet in the house and it is in the living room and with a cable converted box I get literally one station in the bedroom with the rabbit ears. I just wanted video content in my back room in some way, so I began to investigate the options for internet video in set top boxes. After some investigation it turns out that there are many options for set top boxes that stream media saved on another computer over a network. I don't have much video content, so I was looking for something that displayed internet video. I found some boxes that were set to display You Tube and other select video sites, but they all seemed very limited. The real reason I picked this box was because it had streaming TV channels and that sounded perfect for my bedroom. When I got the box it had about 8 channels under the North America section of the live TV. This was disappointing. Now there are around 20 to 30 channels under the same section, so the box i definitely expanding. The more I have used the box the more happy I have been with it. I will continue to post my experiments and results here as the days go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment