Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Vunow Wireless Connection

I originally order my Vunow Box with the wireless adapter thinking that would be perfect for my back bedroom that has no way to get my network back there. I quickly learned that with the large amounts of data the wireless G system was not going to work in my back room. I would load video and it would break up every 3 seconds in my back room and stop to buffer quite often, so to investigate I put the box i my living room. When I had the box set-up wirelessly and set the box 6" from the wireless router I go enough data transfer to play the videos without buffering or skipping problems. The next thing I did was a data transfer check. In my back bedroom roughly 25' and 2 walls from the router, I got about 1 to 1.5 MB/sec transfer raters. When I used the wireless and was 6 inches away, I got 2.5 MB/sec transfer rate. When I used the wired connection I got the 4.5 MB/sec that is said to be my max for my DSL. I don't know if it was pure distance of if there was a lot of interference from other wireless sources because I do live in a condo. I can get about 8 other wireless connections in my apartment, so between that and other sources of interference my guess would be that was my problem. To fix my problem I invested in a set of Powerline Ethernet adapters. These pieces plug into outlets and transfer data through the electrical wires in your home at a higher frequency then the power supply and communicate with each other. I got high end 200 MPS units. These have worked flawlessly with the Vunow Box to produce perfect video signals in my back bedroom. The big negative is that $130 price tag for the set. Keep in mind if you are looking to run this wirelessly there is a reason they advise you to use a wired connection. Also keep in mind that they say that the wireless dongle they provide is the only one that will work with the Vunow, so if you are thinking you would want to upgrade to N wireless you are most likely going to have to add a bridge like they sell for gaming systems that have an ethernet port to attach the system port to.

No comments:

Post a Comment